My Story - About Me

Hello Everyone. Welcome to MS MOM

I thought I would try to take a swing at creating a blog to offer some sort of easy to use and understandable information about Multiple Sclerosis. I will try to take the information presented from highly reputable sources and bring it to you in one place.

I want to tell you a little bit about myself. I am 33 years old. I have been married to my husband, Dave since 2014. We started dating 4 years before marriage. We got my diagnosis together and knew that was when we wanted to be together. Since then, we have had 2 boys; Dane is 5 and Luka is 4. We are ALWAYS busy. Having MS can make it challenging, but I have taken advantage of the resources available to make things a little easier for me to enjoy.

I graduated from college in Minnesota in 2009 with a Bachelor of Arts in Anthropology; with an emphasis in Forensic Anthropology and Archaeology, and a Spanish minor. In the fall of 2010, I enrolled in the Cultural Resource Management- Archaeology Graduate program offered at the same university. I did all my course work, including a Graduate Internship in Summer 2011 where I lived in a tent for about 2 months mapping Crow Tipi rings in the Big Horn Mountains and some Cultural Anthropology with the Black Lodge Crow Indians.

After my schooling ended, it was time to work on my thesis project. I had an idea; The Portrayal of Native Americans in Public History. I also started working at a hometown salon, making money, adulting. I lost sight of what was truly important with my coursework. Even though I did all the school work and took all the classes, I didn’t not write the thesis, so I did not actually get my master’s degree. I can honestly say it was one of the biggest regrets of my life and one the thing I feel MS stole from me. I was not going to be able to be out in the heat, walking in the sun for hours.

A few years after college, and working diligently in random jobs, we decided it was time to try to have a few kids. After realizing the cost of infant daycare to what I would be bringing home it was clear it was just be more cost effective for me to stop working.

Being a stay at home mom was one of the hardest things I had ever done. The isolation when all your friends are working. Husband working hard as the sole provider, I was burnt out. While trying to decide what I wanted to do, I got a sitter for the boys to be able to do some paperwork at the restaurant we owned. My husband found me random jobs to do that no one else wanted. But it was the break I so desperately needed. I took one another very part time job. But, I was still craving more. I posted on Facebook asking if there was any one that knew of any casual work that was hiring. A high school friend reached out about a hospital job that I may be interested. I had always been interested in medicine. I always wanted to be a Medical Examiner or a Forensic Anthropologist. I applied for a casual position, working when others wanted to take vacation.

I had my interview a few weeks later and got the job. Once my training was completed, one of my full time co workers wanted to drop down her hours. I had always mentioned to my boss at the beginning if there was an opening, I would gladly take it. We had no idea it was going to be so soon. There are only 5 full time employees in my position for the entire hospital system. I had to take it.

The whole time of my 6-week training, my husband hadn’t been feeling well and was only getting worse. So, I took the position and shortly after I did, COVID hit, stuff at the restaurant was getting very hard for my husband to do with his health and take care of the kids during the day. We decided he would leave his job to be able to have less stress in his life, work on his health, and take care of the boys. His health quickly declined only to slowly rebound.

So now, here we are. He can do some part time work on some web design, digital marking jobs in the evening and taking care of the kids while I work full time during the day.

I am on Tecifera, relapse free for over 3 years. We still monitor my lymphocytes as they had been low (~.7) for many months and have only recently gotten to 1.0 (1.2 is normal). I am very happy with my neurologist and her nurse. They are very attentive, understanding and very quick to reply to any email I send them. This is my 3rd neurologist. The first one I got when first diagnosed. I was with her for about a year until I switched to a MS Specialist. He retired and I transferred to the woman that took on his patients. I have been lucky for the team I have. I still do not have a General Practioner (GP). I tell everyone I am the healthiest sick person you will meet!

While this is a very long post about myself, I hope it gives you a sense of how I got here and few of the variables in my life leading to this point in life.

Receive the latest updates and posts via email.

Sign Up Today!